- Differential Diagnosis
- Try building your search one term at a time, and be as specific as you can! Search term example: "chronic cough".
- Do not enter multiple findings such as "anemia, chronic cough, weight loss, vomiting" all at the same time.
- After selecting your term from the search results a list of possible diagnoses will be generated. If the list is too long, you will be able to narrow it down by entering additional terms.
- Do not enter values such as "heart rhythm 110" or "sodium 125", instead use "tachycardia" or "hyponatremia".
Drug Information for SYMMETREL (Amantadine Hydrochloride, USP) Tablets and SyrupRx only (Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.): ADVERSE REACTIONS
- INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- ADVERSE REACTIONS
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- Diseases/Conditions Related to SYMMETREL (Amantadine Hydrochloride, USP) Tablets and SyrupRx only (Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- External Links Related to SYMMETREL (Amantadine Hydrochloride, USP) Tablets and SyrupRx only (Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
The adverse reactions reported most frequently at the recommended dose of SYMMETREL (5-10%) are: nausea, dizziness (lightheadedness), and insomnia.
Less frequently (1-5%) reported adverse reactions are: depression, anxiety and irritability, hallucinations, confusion, anorexia, dry mouth, constipation, ataxia, livedo reticularis, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension, headache, somnolence, nervousness, dream abnormality, agitation, dry nose, diarrhea and fatigue.
Infrequently (0.1-1%) occurring adverse reactions are: congestive heart failure, psychosis, urinary retention, dyspnea, skin rash, vomiting, weakness, slurred speech, euphoria, thinking abnormality, amnesia, hyperkinesia, hypertension, decreased libido, and visual disturbance, including punctate subepithelial or other corneal opacity, corneal edema, decreased visual acuity, sensitivity to light, and optic nerve palsy.
Rare (less than 0.1%) occurring adverse reactions are: instances of convulsion, leukopenia, neutropenia, eczematoid dermatitis, oculogyric episodes, suicidal attempt, suicide, and suicidal ideation (see WARNINGS).
Other adverse reactions reported during postmarketing experience with SYMMETREL usage include:
Nervous System/Psychiatriccoma, stupor, delirium, hypokinesia, hypertonia, delusions, aggressive behavior, paranoid reaction, manic reaction, involuntary muscle contractions, gait abnormalities, paresthesia, EEG changes, and tremor. Abrupt discontinuation may also precipitate delirium, agitation, delusions, hallucinations, paranoid reaction, stupor, anxiety, depression and slurred speech;
Cardiovascularcardiac arrest, arrhythmias including malignant arrhythmias, hypotension, and tachycardia; Respiratoryacute respiratory failure, pulmonary edema, and tachypnea; Gastrointestinaldysphagia; Hematologicleukocytosis; agranulocytosisSpecial Senseskeratitis and mydriasis; Skin and Appendagespruritus and diaphoresis; Miscellaneousneuroleptic malignant syndrome (see WARNINGS), allergic reactions including anaphylactic reactions, edema, fever, pathological gambling, increased libido including hypersexuality, and impulse control symptoms.Laboratory Testelevated: CPK, BUN, serum creatinine, alkaline phosphatase, LDH, bilirubin, GGT, SGOT, and SGPT.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).