- Differential Diagnosis
Drug Information for SERTRALINE HCl (Caremark L.L.C.): DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE
- BOX WARNING
- INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- Information for Patients
- Laboratory Tests
- Drug Interactions
- ADVERSE REACTIONS
- DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- Medication Guide Antidepressant Medicines, Depression and other Serious Mental Illness, and Suicidal Thoughts or Actions
- Manufacturer Information
- Package Label - Principal Display Panel
- External Links Related to SERTRALINE HCl (Caremark L.L.C.)
Controlled Substance Class
Sertraline hydrochloride is not a controlled substance.
Physical and Psychological Dependence
In a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized study of the comparative abuse liability of sertraline, alprazolam, and d-amphetamine in humans, sertraline did not produce the positive subjective effects indicative of abuse potential, such as euphoria or drug liking, that were observed with the other two drugs. Premarketing clinical experience with sertraline did not reveal any tendency for a withdrawal syndrome or any drug-seeking behavior. In animal studies sertraline does not demonstrate stimulant or barbiturate-like (depressant) abuse potential. As with any CNS active drug, however, physicians should carefully evaluate patients for history of drug abuse and follow such patients closely, observing them for signs of sertraline misuse or abuse (e.g., development of tolerance, incrementation of dose, drug-seeking behavior).
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).