- Differential Diagnosis
- Try building your search one term at a time, and be as specific as you can! Search term example: "chronic cough".
- Do not enter multiple findings such as "anemia, chronic cough, weight loss, vomiting" all at the same time.
- After selecting your term from the search results a list of possible diagnoses will be generated. If the list is too long, you will be able to narrow it down by entering additional terms.
- Do not enter values such as "heart rhythm 110" or "sodium 125", instead use "tachycardia" or "hyponatremia".
Drug Information for Micronized Colestipol Hydrochloride Tablets (Greenstone LLC): DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
- INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL - 1 Gram Tablets
- External Links Related to Micronized Colestipol Hydrochloride Tablets (Greenstone LLC)
For adults, micronized colestipol hydrochloride tablets are recommended in doses of 2 to 16 grams/day given once or in divided doses. The starting dose should be 2 grams once or twice daily. Dosage increases of 2 grams, once or twice daily should occur at 1- or 2-month intervals. Appropriate use of lipid profiles as per NCEP guidelines including LDL-C and triglycerides, is advised so that optimal but not excessive doses are used to obtain the desired therapeutic effect on LDL-C level. If the desired therapeutic effect is not obtained at a dose of 2 to 16 grams/day with good compliance and acceptable side effects, combined therapy or alternate treatment should be considered.
Micronized colestipol hydrochloride tablets must be taken one at a time and be promptly swallowed whole, using plenty of water or other appropriate liquid. Do not cut, crush, or chew the tablets. Patients should take other drugs at least one hour before or four hours after micronized colestipol hydrochloride tablets to minimize possible interference with their absorption. (See DRUG INTERACTIONS.)
Before Administration of Micronized Colestipol Hydrochloride Tablets
- Define the type of hyperlipoproteinemia, as described in NCEP guidelines.
- Institute a trial of diet and weight reduction.
- Establish baseline serum total and LDL-C and triglyceride levels.
During Administration of Micronized Colestipol Hydrochloride Tablets
- The patient should be carefully monitored clinically, including serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Periodic determinations of serum cholesterol levels as outlined in the NCEP guidelines should be done to confirm a favorable initial and long-term response.
- Failure of total or LDL-C to fall within the desired range should lead one to first examine dietary and drug compliance. If these are deemed acceptable, combined therapy or alternate treatment should be considered.
- Significant rise in triglyceride level should be considered as indication for dose reduction, drug discontinuation, or combined or alternate therapy.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).