- Differential Diagnosis
- Try building your search one term at a time, and be as specific as you can! Search term example: "chronic cough".
- Do not enter multiple findings such as "anemia, chronic cough, weight loss, vomiting" all at the same time.
- After selecting your term from the search results a list of possible diagnoses will be generated. If the list is too long, you will be able to narrow it down by entering additional terms.
- Do not enter values such as "heart rhythm 110" or "sodium 125", instead use "tachycardia" or "hyponatremia".
Drug Information for Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin macrocrystals) (Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals): CONTRAINDICATIONS
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
- INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- Diseases/Conditions Related to Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin macrocrystals) (Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals)
- External Links Related to Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin macrocrystals) (Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals)
Anuria, oliguria, or significant impairment of renal function (creatinine clearance under 60 mL per minute or clinically significant elevated serum creatinine) are contraindications. Treatment of this type of patient carries an increased risk of toxicity because of impaired excretion of the drug.
Because of the possibility of hemolytic anemia due to immature erythrocyte enzyme systems (glutathione instability), the drug is contraindicated in pregnant patients at term (38-42 weeks' gestation), during labor and delivery, or when the onset of labor is imminent. For the same reason, the drug is contraindicated in neonates under one month of age.
Macrodantin is contraindicated in patients with a previous history of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with nitrofurantoin.
Macrodantin is also contraindicated in those patients with known hypersensitivity to nitrofurantoin.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).