- Differential Diagnosis
- Try building your search one term at a time, and be as specific as you can! Search term example: "chronic cough".
- Do not enter multiple findings such as "anemia, chronic cough, weight loss, vomiting" all at the same time.
- After selecting your term from the search results a list of possible diagnoses will be generated. If the list is too long, you will be able to narrow it down by entering additional terms.
- Do not enter values such as "heart rhythm 110" or "sodium 125", instead use "tachycardia" or "hyponatremia".
Drug Information for ISOFLURANE, USP (HOSPIRA, INC.): DESCRIPTION
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
- INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- ADVERSE REACTIONS
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- Diseases/Conditions Related to ISOFLURANE, USP (HOSPIRA, INC.)
- External Links Related to ISOFLURANE, USP (HOSPIRA, INC.)
Isoflurane, USP, a nonflammable liquid administered by vaporizing, is a general inhalation anesthetic drug. It is 1-chloro-2,2,2-trifluoroethyl difluoromethyl ether, and its structural formula is:
Some physical constants are:
Boiling point at 760 mm Hg
Refractive index nD20
Specific gravity 25°/25°C
Vapor pressure in mm Hg**
**Equation for vapor pressure calculation:
A + B/T
A = 8.056
B = -1664.58
T = °C + 273.16 (Kelvin)
Partition coefficients at 37°C
Partition coefficients at 25°C - rubber and plastic Conductive rubber/gas 62.0 Butyl rubber/gas 75.0 Polyvinyl chloride/gas 110.0 Polyethylene/gas ~2.0 Polyurethane/gas ~1.4 Polyolefin/gas ~1.1 Butyl acetate/gas ~2.5 Purity by gas chromatography >99.9%
Lower limit of flammability in oxygen or nitrous oxide at 9 joules/sec. and 23°C
Lower limit of flammability in oxygen or nitrous oxide at 900 joules/sec. and 23°C
Greater than useful concentration in anesthesia.
Isoflurane is a clear, colorless, stable liquid containing no additives or chemical stabilizers. Isoflurane has a mildly pungent, musty, ethereal odor. Samples stored in stability chambers in amber glass for five years, as well as samples directly exposed for 7 days to accelerated light conditions were unchanged in composition as determined by gas chromatography. Isoflurane in one normal sodium methoxide-methanol solution, a strong base, for over six months consumed essentially no alkali, indicative of strong base stability. Isoflurane does not decompose in the presence of soda lime, (at normal operating temperatures), and does not attack aluminum, tin, brass, iron or copper.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).