- Differential Diagnosis
Drug Information for Furosemide Tablets, USP (Sandoz Inc): ADVERSE REACTIONS
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
- ADVERSE REACTIONS
- HOW SUPPLIED
- 20 mg Label
- 40 mg Label
- 80 mg Label
- External Links Related to Furosemide Tablets, USP (Sandoz Inc)
Adverse reactions are categorized below by organ system and listed by decreasing severity.
Gastrointestinal System Reactions
- hepatic encephalopathy in patients with hepatocellular insufficiency
- jaundice (intrahepatic cholestatic jaundice)
- increased liver enzymes
- oral and gastric irritation
Systemic Hypersensitivity Reactions
- severe anaphylactic or anaphylactoid reactions (e.g. with shock)
- systemic vasculitis
- interstitial nephritis
- necrotizing angiitis
Central Nervous System Reactions
- tinnitus and hearing loss
- blurred vision
- aplastic anemia (rare)
- agranulocytosis (rare)
- hemolytic anemia
- exfoliative dermatitis
- bullous pemphigoid
- erythema multiforme
- Orthostatic hypotension may occur and be aggravated by alcohol, barbiturates or narcotics.
- Increase in cholesterol and triglyceride serum levels.
- muscle spasm
- urinary bladder spasm
In premature infants furosemide may precipitate nephrocalcinosis/nephrolithiasis.
If furosemide is administered to premature infants during the first weeks of life, it may increase the risk of persistence of patent ductus arteriosus.
Whenever adverse reactions are moderate or severe, furosemide dosage should be reduced or therapy withdrawn.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).