- Differential Diagnosis
- Try building your search one term at a time, and be as specific as you can! Search term example: "chronic cough".
- Do not enter multiple findings such as "anemia, chronic cough, weight loss, vomiting" all at the same time.
- After selecting your term from the search results a list of possible diagnoses will be generated. If the list is too long, you will be able to narrow it down by entering additional terms.
- Do not enter values such as "heart rhythm 110" or "sodium 125", instead use "tachycardia" or "hyponatremia".
Drug Information for FANSIDAR brand ofsulfadoxine and pyrimethamineTABLETS (Roche Pharmaceuticals): DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- ADVERSE REACTIONS
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- Diseases/Conditions Related to FANSIDAR brand ofsulfadoxine and pyrimethamineTABLETS (Roche Pharmaceuticals)
- External Links Related to FANSIDAR brand ofsulfadoxine and pyrimethamineTABLETS (Roche Pharmaceuticals)
(See INDICATIONS AND USAGE)
The dosage should be swallowed whole, and not chewed, with plenty of fluids after a meal.
Treatment of Acute Malaria
Adults 2 to 3 tablets taken as a single dose. Pediatric patients(>2 months to 18 years) The dosage for treatment of malaria in children is based upon body weight: Weight (kg) Number of Tablets Takenas a Single Dose >45 3 31 to 45 2 21 to 30 1 ½ 11 to 20 1 5 to 10 ½
Prevention of Malaria
The malaria risk must be carefully weighed against the risk of serious adverse drug reactions (see INDICATIONS AND USAGE). If Fansidar is prescribed for prophylaxis, it is important that the physician inquires about sulfonamide intolerance and points out the risk and the need for immediate drug withdrawal if skin reactions do occur.
The first dose of Fansidar should be taken 1 or 2 days before arrival in an endemic area; administration should be continued during the stay and for 4 to 6 weeks after return.
Once Weekly Once Every 2 Weeks Adults 1 tablet 2 tablets Pediatric patients(>2 months to 18 years) The dosage for prevention of malaria in children is based upon body weight: Weight (kg) Number of Tablets TakenOnce Weekly >45 1 ½ 31 to 45 1 21 to 30 ¾ 11 to 20 ½ 5 to 10 ¼
Prophylaxis with Fansidar should not be continued for more than two years, since no experience of more prolonged administration is available to date.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).