- Differential Diagnosis
- Try building your search one term at a time, and be as specific as you can! Search term example: "chronic cough".
- Do not enter multiple findings such as "anemia, chronic cough, weight loss, vomiting" all at the same time.
- After selecting your term from the search results a list of possible diagnoses will be generated. If the list is too long, you will be able to narrow it down by entering additional terms.
- Do not enter values such as "heart rhythm 110" or "sodium 125", instead use "tachycardia" or "hyponatremia".
Drug Information for CLARITHROMYCIN (KAISER FOUNDATION HOSPITALS): PRECAUTIONS
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
- INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- Information For Patients
- Drug Interactions
- Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility
- Nursing Mothers
- Geriatric Use
- ADVERSE REACTIONS
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- CLINICAL STUDIES
- ANIMAL PHARMACOLOGY AND TOXICOLOGY
- External Links Related to CLARITHROMYCIN (KAISER FOUNDATION HOSPITALS)
Prescribing clarithromycin in the absence of a proven or strongly suspected bacterial infection or aprophylactic indication is unlikely to provide benefit to the patient and increases the risk of thedevelopment of drug-resistant bacteria.
Clarithromycin is principally excreted via the liver and kidney. Clarithromycin may be administeredwithout dosage adjustment to patients with hepatic impairment and normal renal function. However, inthe presence of severe renal impairment with or without coexisting hepatic impairment, decreaseddosage or prolonged dosing intervals may be appropriate.
Clarithromycin in combination with ranitidine bismuth citrate therapy is not recommended in patientswith creatinine clearance less than 25 mL/min. (See DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION.)
Clarithromycin in combination with ranitidine bismuth citrate should not be used in patients with ahistory of acute porphyria.
Exacerbation of symptoms of myasthenia gravis and new onset of symptoms of myasthenicsyndrome has been reported in patients receiving clarithromycin therapy.
For information about precautions of other drugs indicated in combination with clarithromycin, refer tothe PRECAUTIONS section of their package inserts.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).