- Differential Diagnosis
- Try building your search one term at a time, and be as specific as you can! Search term example: "chronic cough".
- Do not enter multiple findings such as "anemia, chronic cough, weight loss, vomiting" all at the same time.
- After selecting your term from the search results a list of possible diagnoses will be generated. If the list is too long, you will be able to narrow it down by entering additional terms.
- Do not enter values such as "heart rhythm 110" or "sodium 125", instead use "tachycardia" or "hyponatremia".
Drug Information for CIPRO XR (ciprofloxacin* extended-release tablets) (Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.): INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- INDICATIONS AND USAGE
- ADVERSE REACTIONS
- DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- HOW SUPPLIED
- ANIMAL PHARMACOLOGY
- CLINICAL STUDIES
- MEDICATION GUIDE
- Diseases/Conditions Related to CIPRO XR (ciprofloxacin* extended-release tablets) (Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- External Links Related to CIPRO XR (ciprofloxacin* extended-release tablets) (Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
CIPRO XR is indicated only for the treatment of urinary tract infections, including acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis, caused by susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms as listed below. CIPRO XR and ciprofloxacin immediate-release tablets are not interchangeable. Please see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION for specific recommendations.
Uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infections (Acute Cystitis) caused by Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis, Enterococcus faecalis, or Staphylococcus saprophyticusa.
Complicated Urinary Tract Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterococcus faecalis, Proteus mirabilis, or Pseudomonas aeruginosaa.
Acute Uncomplicated Pyelonephritis caused by Escherichia coli.
a Treatment of infections due to this organism in the organ system was studied in fewer than 10 patients.
THE SAFETY AND EFFICACY OF CIPRO XR IN TREATING INFECTIONS OTHER THAN URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS HAS NOT BEEN DEMONSTRATED. Appropriate culture and susceptibility tests should be performed before treatment in order to isolate and identify organisms causing infection and to determine their susceptibility to ciprofloxacin. Therapy with CIPRO XR may be initiated before results of these tests are known; once results become available appropriate therapy should be continued. Culture and susceptibility testing performed periodically during therapy will provide information not only on the therapeutic effect of the antimicrobial agent but also on the possible emergence of bacterial resistance.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of CIPRO XR and other antibacterial drugs, CIPRO XR should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
- Drug Information Provided by National Library of Medicine (NLM).